Joe Duke | 4/16/17
Series: What If?
Series Part No: 1
Each year Easter is celebrated all over the world in all kinds of cultures. Some celebrate out of tradition or even religious ritual. Others consider the Easter Bunny to be the center-stage character in the Easter story. But of course, Easter is the celebration of the resurrection of Jesus. He died on a cross, was buried and came back to life three days later. What if that story is real? That might change everything about how we view God and what He has done for us.
For further thought and discussion:
- In what ways has the true meaning of Easter been obscured by the modern celebration of the holiday? What secular and sacred parallels do you see between the celebration of Easter and Christmas?
- Read 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. What is the content of the good news that Paul is proclaiming? Why is the resurrection of Jesus an indispensable piece of this good news? Continue reading verses 5-8. Why are eyewitness accounts a powerful part of the resurrection story?
- After Jesus was arrested and crucified, His disciples were cowering in the shadows. Peter denied Jesus but would later preach His name with confidence. Read Acts 2:23-24; 3:14-15. What gave Peter boldness to preach about Jesus?
- What if it’s real? If Jesus really is alive that changes everything. Why has Jesus been raised from the dead? What difference can Jesus’ resurrection make in your life?
- Read John 14:19. How does Jesus’ resurrection relate to your own promised resurrection as a believer in Jesus? Take a few minutes to describe the faith and hope you have when you think about your own life after death. (Compare Romans 8:11)
- Alive by Aodhan King and Alexander Pappas
- Fierce by Chris Quilala, Joshua Silverberg, and Mia Fieldes
- What A Beautiful Name by Ben Fielding and Brooke Ligertwood
- Spirit of the Living God by Jacob Sooter & Mia Fieldes
- Resurrecting by Christopher Brown, Mack Brock, Matt Ntele, Steven Furtick, and Wade Joye
What If?Back to Sermons
|What If It’s Real?||Joe Duke||4/16/17|