Joe Duke | 6/25/17
Series: The Community You Can Be
Series Part No: 4
Sometimes secrets are meant to be told—especially when those secrets could help us change for the better. For many people, finding courage can be a difficult assignment. But what if we all discovered the secret path to courage? Maybe it’s possible to create a community where courage springs to life. Today we’ll talk about how that can happen.
For further thought and discussion:
- Sometimes people look for secret breakthroughs that promise a carefree or problem-free life. Why is this perspective unrealistic? At the same time, learning “secrets” about how life works can be extraordinarily liberating. Can you think of breakthrough truths that helped you get a new start or new perspective?
- One of the secrets of living well is found in the power of encouragement. What is encouragement? How can encouragement build courage into people? Read Hebrews 10:24-25. Describe the power of an encouraging community.
- Think about the word “discourage” (a “dis” to courage). How is your courage affected when you are discouraged? What kinds of things create discouragement in you? Read Acts 14:21-22, 15:32, and 1 Thessalonians 5:14. Why were people sent to encourage fellow believers?
- The historic preacher John Wesley would often require small group members to ask a pointed question of each other: “How is it with your soul?” How can this question help us build an encouraging community? How would you answer that question today?
- We all need encouragement in life. How are you most encouraged by others? Is encouragement something that you regularly give to others? If so how? If not why?
- Why are words one of the most powerful ways we can encourage others? Read Proverbs 12:25, 15:4, 16:24, 18:21. In the next few days, deliberately target someone to be the recipient of your encouragement! Through your encouragement, you could make a profound difference for another person.
- Wake by Joel Davies, Hannah Hobbs, and Alexander Pappas
- Forever by Christa Black Gifford, Kari Jobe, Brian Johnson, Jenn Johnson, Joel Taylor, and Gabriel Wilson
- Let It Echo (Heaven Fall) by Chris Quilala, Jacob Sooter, and Sarah Reeves
- Worthy, Worthy by Jacob Sooter & Mia Fieldes
The Community You Can BeBack to Sermons
|A Christ-centered Community||Joe Duke||8/27/17|
|A Reconciling Community||Joe Duke||8/20/17|
|The Hopeful Community||Jason Fullen||8/13/17|
|What in the World Are We Doing?||Joe Paschal||8/06/17|
|Be Fruitful and Multiply||Mike Hipsley||7/30/17|
|Altogether Generous||Mark Marten||7/23/17|
|A Worshiping Community||Joe Duke||7/16/17|
|Your Community||Joe Laughlin||7/09/17|
|God Is Community||Mike Hipsley||7/02/17|
|The Secret Path to Courage||Joe Duke||6/25/17|
|The Perfect Family||Adam Hunsicker||6/18/17|
|Normally Weird||Mike Hipsley||6/11/17|
|Don't Go It Alone||Joe Duke||6/04/17|