Mike Hipsley | 12/18/16
Series Part No: 7
When you hear the word, evangelism, what comes to mind? It’s not unusual for the word to evoke unpleasant pictures—pictures of wild-eyed zealots imposing their God-views on people not fully prepared for the assault. But evangelism is actually a great idea. Biblical evangelism is sharing the good news of Jesus’ great love in a loving way. Not only is that news good, but it’s also the most important message anyone could ever hear. And you can be part of helping to create a culture that invites people into a discussion about these life-changing truths.
Our culture and our world have changed dramatically in the last few decades. We now live in a “Post-Christian” America in which familiarity with the Bible, respect for Judeo-Christian values and even belief in God can no longer be assumed. As a result, it is often the case that we have to engage in conversations about faith on a much more foundational level. Often before we can talk with people about Jesus, we first have engage people with reasons to believe there is a God at all.
For Further Thought & Discussion:
- Why do you believe in God? What reasons persuade you that God is real? If you are a Christian, what reasons persuade you that Christianity is true?
- Read 1 Peter 3:15. What does this verse tell us about sharing our faith?
- Why do you think people of faith often react negatively when people express doubts? How can we see doubt as a friend of faith rather than an enemy?
- What doubts about God have you or are you currently struggling with? Do you know of any reasons to believe that help to answer or speak truth to your doubts?
- Read Romans 1:19-20. What does this passage tell us can be known about God just through observing creation? What are some things than cannot be known about God through observing creation?
- Which of the reasons to believe that were covered in this sermon do you find most persuasive? Why?
- Unstoppable Love by Christa Black, Skyler Smith, and Kim Walker-Smith
- He Has Come For Us (God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen) by Meredith Andrews and Jason Ingram
- Miracles by Chris Quilala, Dustin Smith, Joshua Silverberg, and Stuart Garrard
- Resurrecting by Christopher Brown, Mack Brock, Matt Ntele, Steven Furtick, and Wade Joye
eCultureBack to Sermons
|Reasons to Believe||Mike Hipsley||12/18/16|
|The Untapped Power of Goodness||Joe Duke||12/11/16|
|There’s More Good News||Joe Paschal||12/04/16|
|Something About Those People||Mike Hipsley||11/27/16|
|Just to be Clear||Joe Duke||11/20/16|
|A Good Place to Start||Joe Duke||11/13/16|
|Good News & Bad News||Mark Marten||11/06/16|