Joe Duke | 11/09/17
Series: Be Rich
Series Part No: 2
Imagine our whole church unleashed into our community to make a difference. It’s called Be Rich. We’re taking Paul’s simple advice to Timothy and putting it into practice: “Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share.” (1 Timothy 6:18) Through Be Rich our church will be mobilized toward radical generosity, acts of service and simple gestures of kindness.
It’s easy to get swept downstream in the current of consumerism. In a me-oriented society, our lives can instinctively become all about us—our money, our time, our pleasure. But the one wishing to follow Jesus and walk as He walked will eventually be confronted with a simple reality: you can’t serve God without serving others.
For further thought and discussion:
- In what ways does our culture pressure us toward consumerism? How might a “me-oriented” perspective get carried over into our church experience?
- What do pizza delivery and Netflix have in common? Hint: think privacy and individualism. What are the benefits and consequences of privacy and individualism?
- Read Mark 10:45. Why is Jesus’ example of servanthood significant for you? Now read Galatians 5:13. What are the greatest obstacles to your serving others?
- In what sense is the following statement true: You can’t serve God without serving others? What insights can you discover from Matthew 25:35-40 and 1 John 4:20?
- One of the secrets of experiencing the joy of serving others is through the use of your spiritual gift. What is a spiritual gift? Read 1 Peter 4:10 and Romans 12:6. What do you think your spiritual gift might be?
- Remember the foundational verse for our Be Rich series (1 Timothy 6:18)? What are some ways you can serve others and Be Rich in good deeds?
- Chasing You by Jenn Johnson, Daniel MacKenzie, Ian McIntosh, Jeremy Riddle, and Gabriel Wilson
- Broken Vessels (Amazing Grace) by Edwin Othello Excell, Joel Houston, John Newton, John P. Rees, and Jonas Myrin
- This I Believe (The Creed) by Ben Fielding and Matt Crocker
Be RichBack to Sermons
|Serve It Up||Joe Duke||11/09/17|
|Give to Get to Give||Joe Duke||11/05/17|