Joe Duke | 12/24/17
Series Part No: 1
There’s nothing like the suspense of anticipation. Sometimes the wait seems like it lasts forever—like a child waiting for Christmas to finally arrive. When Jesus was born that first Christmas, the world had been waiting hundreds of years. But now for all of us, the wait is over. Our Savior has arrived.n
For further thought and discussion:
- What do you think leads to the commercialization and consumerism of the Christmas season? Why is the introduction of Jesus into the holiday uncomfortable for many people?
- Why is it reasonable to trust the Old Testament prophecies about Jesus Christ? Read the following passages and summarize your insights about Jesus from these verses: Micah 5:2, Isaiah 7:14, Psalm 41:9 and Isaiah 53:1-12.
- Why did Jesus come to earth? Why do you need a savior? Read John 3:16-17 and 1 John 4:10 and explain the details.
- What role can you play in helping others understand the true meaning of Christmas? Why does it make sense to tell the Christmas story throughout the year? What is the relationship of Christmas to Easter?
- Christmas is a season of lights. In what way is Jesus the light of the world? Read John 1:4. How does His light shine in and through your life?
- If you could make a Christmas wish, what would it be?
- Joy To The World by George Frederic Handel and Isaac Watts
- O Come O Come Emmanuel by Jeremy Edwardson, Kim Walker-Smith, and Thomas Helmore
- Away In A Manger by Jon Bauer, John Thomas McFarland, and James Ramsey Murray
- The First Noel by William Sandys and Davies Gilbert
- O Holy Night by Adolphe Charles Adam, Placide Cappeau, and John S. Dwight
ArrivalBack to Sermons