Mike Hipsley | 6/11/17
Series: The Community You Can Be
Series Part No: 2
If you follow Jesus you’re weird. You’re supposed to be weird. You don’t have to read much of the life of Jesus or his teachings to realize that there was something wonderfully weird about him or that he called his followers to live out that same weirdness together. The problem is that sometimes being weird is hard to get right. Sometimes we make it not so wonderful and are weird in all the wrong ways. If we’re normally supposed to be weird, how can we be weird normally?
For further thought and discussion:
- What comes to mind when you hear the word “weird?” What is weird about you?
- Think about the life of Jesus and his early followers, what was weird about them? What are some different ways that people responded to that weirdness?
- Christians are perceived as weird in our culture, but it’s not a good weird. What are some negative perceptions that our culture has about Christians? To what degree are these fair and to what degree are they unfair?
- Read John 13:1-20. Jesus does and says some weird things in this passage and calls us to follow His example. What kinds of things is He calling us to imitate? What would that look like in our culture?
- Read John 17:14-17. Jesus calls us to be in the world, but not of the world. What does this mean? What are ways that the church lives this out well? What are things that we get wrong about this?
- Want to get the most out of this series? Get the book, The Good and Beautiful Community by James Bryan Smith. Many of the topics from our series can be found in the book. It’s a great read!
- Only King Forever by Mack Brock, Chris Brown, Steven Furtick, and Wade Joye
- Even So Come by Chris Tomlin, Jason Ingram, and Jess Cates
- O Come To The Altar by Christopher Brown, Mack Brock, Steven Furtick, and Wade Joye
- Oceans (Where Feet May Fail) by Matt Crocker, Joel Houston, and Salomon Ligthelm
The Community You Can BeBack to Sermons
|A Christ-centered Community||Joe Duke||8/27/17|
|A Reconciling Community||Joe Duke||8/20/17|
|The Hopeful Community||Jason Fullen||8/13/17|
|What in the World Are We Doing?||Joe Paschal||8/06/17|
|Be Fruitful and Multiply||Mike Hipsley||7/30/17|
|Altogether Generous||Mark Marten||7/23/17|
|A Worshiping Community||Joe Duke||7/16/17|
|Your Community||Joe Laughlin||7/09/17|
|God Is Community||Mike Hipsley||7/02/17|
|The Secret Path to Courage||Joe Duke||6/25/17|
|The Perfect Family||Adam Hunsicker||6/18/17|
|Normally Weird||Mike Hipsley||6/11/17|
|Don't Go It Alone||Joe Duke||6/04/17|