Joe Duke | 6/04/17
Series: The Community You Can Be
Series Part No: 1
We can be individuals to a fault—independent and self-sufficient, never needing anything from anyone and never giving anything to anyone. But we were created by God to function in community with others. You can surround yourself with people who, with you, can make a big difference in so many ways. You need people and people need you. Whatever you do, don’t go it alone.
For further thought and discussion:
- Are you more likely to be described as a dependent or independent person? How are the traits of independence and self-sufficiency good traits and how might they be considered hindrances?
- What comes to mind when you hear the word “community?” What does it mean to be in community with others? Who are your three closest friends and why?
- Read 1 Corinthians 13:3 and Galatians 5:6. Do you see a central, important theme in these verses? How is your love most often expressed to others?
- Depending on how you count, there are 59 “one anothers” in the Bible. Take a moment to search the Bible for these “one anothers” (might be easier to use a concordance). Now identify the “one anothers” that most strongly resonate with you.
- What does authentic community look like? What do you think would most likely threaten the experience of real community? Why is community worth protecting?
- Want to get the most out of this series? Get the book, The Good and Beautiful Community by James Bryan Smith. Many of the topics from our series can be found in the book. It’s a great read!
- Multiplied by Nathaniel Rinehart and William Rinehart
- Holy Spirit by Bryan Torwalt and Katie Torwalt
- How He Loves by John Mark McMillan
- Great I Am by Jared Anderson
The Community You Can BeBack to Sermons
|A Christ-centered Community||Joe Duke||8/27/17|
|A Reconciling Community||Joe Duke||8/20/17|
|The Hopeful Community||Jason Fullen||8/13/17|
|What in the World Are We Doing?||Joe Paschal||8/06/17|
|Be Fruitful and Multiply||Mike Hipsley||7/30/17|
|Altogether Generous||Mark Marten||7/23/17|
|A Worshiping Community||Joe Duke||7/16/17|
|Your Community||Joe Laughlin||7/09/17|
|God Is Community||Mike Hipsley||7/02/17|
|The Secret Path to Courage||Joe Duke||6/25/17|
|The Perfect Family||Adam Hunsicker||6/18/17|
|Normally Weird||Mike Hipsley||6/11/17|
|Don't Go It Alone||Joe Duke||6/04/17|