Mark Marten | 7/23/17
Series: The Community You Can Be
Series Part No: 8
We’re told “God helps those who help themselves.” And we know that if we give things away, we’ll have less. In addition, many believe what we have is ours, to be used for our own pleasure. When these false narratives are combined, they form a powerful argument against generosity. Today we’ll explore a different point of view and discuss why we should be altogether generous.
For further thought and discussion:
- Think about three false narratives: (i) Judgement: “God helps those who help themselves,” (ii) Scarcity: “If I give it away I’ll have less” and (iii) Entitlement: “What I have is mine to use for my own pleasure.” How do these work together to discourage generosity? Which of these effect you the most personally?
- Read Matthew 20:1-15. What does this say about God’s generosity? What does it say about the workers?
- Read Matthew 6:25-33, Ephesians 3:20-21, Matthew 7:11, Matthew 19:27-29 and Luke 15:22-24. What message do these verses communicate regarding God’s provision and generosity?
- Think about God’s abundance, how much does He have? How much is He able to make available to you? How does this impact your thinking regarding abundance, scarcity and generosity?
- Read Matthew 25:14-26. How much was each worker given? What was this amount based on? What is the message regarding the talent we’ve been given?
- Reflect on the fact that God often uses other people to express His generosity toward us. Have you experienced this yourself either as a giver or receiver?
- Last Word by Mack Brock, Chris Brown, Steven Furtick, London Gatch, and Wade Joye
- Wake by Joel Davies, Hannah Hobbs, and Alexander Pappas
- Christ Is Enough by Reuben Morgan and Jonas Myrin
- Lay Me Down by Jason Ingram, Jonas Myrin, Matt Redman, and Chris Tomlin
The Community You Can BeBack to Sermons
|A Christ-centered Community||Joe Duke||8/27/17|
|A Reconciling Community||Joe Duke||8/20/17|
|The Hopeful Community||Jason Fullen||8/13/17|
|What in the World Are We Doing?||Joe Paschal||8/06/17|
|Be Fruitful and Multiply||Mike Hipsley||7/30/17|
|Altogether Generous||Mark Marten||7/23/17|
|A Worshiping Community||Joe Duke||7/16/17|
|Your Community||Joe Laughlin||7/09/17|
|God Is Community||Mike Hipsley||7/02/17|
|The Secret Path to Courage||Joe Duke||6/25/17|
|The Perfect Family||Adam Hunsicker||6/18/17|
|Normally Weird||Mike Hipsley||6/11/17|
|Don't Go It Alone||Joe Duke||6/04/17|