Joe Duke | 7/16/17
Series: The Community You Can Be
Series Part No: 7
God’s perfect, we’re not. That’s why it seems almost absurd that we could give God something He likes. Maybe you’ve even wondered, “What does God want from me?” God tells us what He’s looking for and what you can give Him—that which He finds satisfying. You can give God worship. That answer alone may raise more questions than it answers. Today, we’ll talk about how we can be a worshiping community.
For further thought and discussion:
- When you hear the word worship, what immediately comes to mind? What images might come to mind for the unchurched person when worship is mentioned?
- Jesus’ conversation with the Samaritan woman (John 4) centers on the subject of living water. Since it’s a spiritual conversation, the subject of worship also gets discussed. What is the Father looking for (4:23)? What does it mean to worship God in spirit and truth?
- Music is a vital part of worship (especially in a worship service). What is the purpose of singing worship songs? Why is worship not meant to just be a private activity? (Take a look at Colossians 3:16 and Ephesians 5:19.)
- Read Psalm 95:1-3, 6-7. What do you notice about the worship experience from these verses? In what ways is it easy to get worship wrong? What might it look like to sing in the “key of me?” (a self-centered approach to worship)?
- Read Romans 12:1-2 (try a few different Bible translations). Worship can also mean giving God your all. Apart from attending a worship service, in what other ways do you worship God?
- Good Good Father by Anthony Brown and Pat Barrett
- Only King Forever by Mack Brock, Chris Brown, Steven Furtick, and Wade Joye
- Jesus I Come by Chris Brown and Steven Furtick
- What A Beautiful Name by Ben Fielding and Brooke Ligertwood
The Community You Can BeBack to Sermons
|A Christ-centered Community||Joe Duke||8/27/17|
|A Reconciling Community||Joe Duke||8/20/17|
|The Hopeful Community||Jason Fullen||8/13/17|
|What in the World Are We Doing?||Joe Paschal||8/06/17|
|Be Fruitful and Multiply||Mike Hipsley||7/30/17|
|Altogether Generous||Mark Marten||7/23/17|
|A Worshiping Community||Joe Duke||7/16/17|
|Your Community||Joe Laughlin||7/09/17|
|God Is Community||Mike Hipsley||7/02/17|
|The Secret Path to Courage||Joe Duke||6/25/17|
|The Perfect Family||Adam Hunsicker||6/18/17|
|Normally Weird||Mike Hipsley||6/11/17|
|Don't Go It Alone||Joe Duke||6/04/17|